Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday Author Spotlight - Kimber Leigh Wheaton!

SATURDAY AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT

Welcome to the Saturday Author Spotlight with Kimber Leigh!
Read on to learn more about Kimber Leigh, her books, and where you can find her!

An eBook copy of Shadow Fire Light Chronicles Book 1 will be awarded to 1 random commenter via Amazon! In addition, this person will also receive a $5 Amazon eGift Card!
(To qualify, leave a comment by Tuesday, March 4th)
 

Spotlight Interview with Kimber Leigh


1.  How did you get into writing? 

I've always enjoyed writing—used to write all sorts of short stories in high school and college. A couple years ago, my son reached an age where he was more independent. Suddenly I had this free time, and for a while I didn't know what to do with it. The idea for Shadow Fire hit me out of the blue one day. It grabbed ahold, and I was a woman possessed. One month later I had my first draft. There was no planning, no outline. Ashlyn, Zane, and Taranis were in my mind, and their story needed to be told. I loved writing Shadow Fire and Stolen Moon soon followed. Writing has become a passion. Life would be dull without it.

2.  Where is your favorite place to write and do you listen to music or need silence?

My favorite place to write is in bed. I know, it sounds weird. Sometimes it's just the only place I can find any peace. I prop myself up with pillows and type away on my laptop. Music is a huge source of inspiration for my writing. While creating, I have a playlist selected specifically for each manuscript. When I edit, I can only listen to instrumentals since I've found the lyrics interfere with my attention to detail. Silence is okay, too. If I'm on a roll, I wouldn't hear the music anyway since I'm off in my own little writing world. But for planning, music is a necessity.

3.  How do you meet up with your writing muse?

Lately it hasn't been too hard. My muse whispers and cajoles nonstop, especially when I'm trying to go to sleep at night. I like to work multiple projects at a time. If I reach a block on one, I close it and work on another. My muse hates being forced, I write on her terms rather than my own. If all else fails, music usually manages to jolt her awake. With any luck that inspiration will be for the novel I need to work on and not for a new one. Right now I have three WIPs and one manuscript going through edits with my publisher.

4. Do you have any other book we can check out?
 
Shadow Fire is my debut novel. The second book in the Light Chronicles series, Stolen Moon, is expected to release late summer 2014. Tortured Souls, Orion Circle #1 will be out in June 2014. Unlike Shadow Fire & Stolen Moon which are YA fantasy romances, Tortured Souls is an urban fantasy romance.

5. Do you have any sneak peek tidbits about what you're working on now?

Here’s an excerpt from my novel Stolen Moon, Light Chronicles Book Two:

The pirates seem endless as they swarm over the schooner, taking out the less experienced merchant sailors with ease. Any that challenge me fall to my blade within moments. They may have vast numbers but their sword skills are lacking. Most try to avoid fighting me. Either they don't see me as a threat or they don't wish to harm what they view as a valuable captive. Several pirates disregard me and storm past to surround Captain Harris, who is fighting at my side. The fool tries to lead the group away in what appears to be a last-ditch effort to protect me.

My heart wrenches when he's hit with a saber on the back of his head. He collapses to the deck unmoving. Tears burn my eyes as I race to his side, cutting down the three pirates surrounding him. Ignoring the battle raging all around me, I fall to my knees at his side. He stares up at me, sorrow marring his handsome features. I brush the hair from his forehead with my fingertips, watching the blood gush from the wound on his head. It's a fatal injury. He'll bleed out within moments.

"I'm so sorry, Katarina," he murmurs as I gaze into his stricken brown eyes. "I wish…I…"

"Shh, don't speak," I say, grasping his hand while his body shakes. A teardrop splatters on his face. Only then do I realize I'm crying.

"Don't…c-cry," Harris whispers. With a grunt of pain, he raises his hand and brushes a light caressacross my cheek with his fingers, leaving a warm smear of blood behind.

His eyes glaze over in death, and I close them with my fingertips, saying a quick prayer to War God Ramil. I rise and return to the battle raging around me, shaking with an overwhelming combination of fright and fury. When I bury my fear, rage-fueled adrenaline consumes me. Several stunned brigands fall under the wild, almost berserk swings of my sword. Intense anger gives me strength. I cut a swath through the pirates, leaving injured and dead men lying in my wake.

Author Bio

Kimber Leigh Wheaton is a YA/NA author with a soft spot for sweet romance and is a member of Romance Writers of America.

She is married to her soul mate, has a teenage son, and shares her home with three dogs and four cats. No, she doesn’t live on a farm, she just loves animals. Her house is filled with dragons, though she does lament that they are the porcelain, non-flying variety.

Kimber Leigh is addicted to romance, videogames, superheroes, villains, and chocolate—not necessarily in that order. (If she has to choose, she’ll take a chocolate covered superhero!)

Her debut novel, Shadow Fire, is the first book in The Light Chronicles series. Watch for book two, Stolen Moon, a standalone sequel, coming soon.

 
 
Featured Book

Shadow Fire
Light Chronicles Book 1

By Kimber Leigh Wheaton 



Ashlyn – a free-spirited teenager whose peaceful life is shattered when the village elders honor her with a perilous quest to recover a stolen relic.
 
Zane – a jaded mercenary, torn by his undeniable desire for Ashlyn and the dark secret that could make her hate him forever.

Delistaire – a malevolent sorcerer driven by an insatiable lust for power.
All three are bound together by an ancient relic supposedly infused with the power of a Goddess.
 
Shadow Fire - adventure, passion, secrets, and betrayal

As Ashlyn and Zane race to stay one step ahead of the evil lurking in the shadows, their passions are ignited and their bond strengthens. But will they find the relic before Delistaire? Or has their entire quest been orchestrated from the very beginning by a madman in pursuit of ultimate power?
 

Amazon       Barnes & Noble     Kobo     Smashwords     Goodreads  


Where you can find Kimber Leigh
 

Website     Twitter     Goodreads     Facebook     Blog     Pinterest

 
Click HERE if you'd like to be featured on Saturday Author Spotlight.



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Kimberly. You're blog design is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! It's my pleasure. And thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely interview. I love listening to instrumentals when I'm writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing in bed. What a fabulous idea! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to work on several projects at once too! And thank goodness for writing. As my four boys keep growing like weeds and leaving home, it gives me something to occupy myself with and keep me out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimber, you don't look old enough to have a teenaged son.

    I have playlists for my fiction books, too. They set the mood when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My muse sits on my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! The cover and title are great. Kimber must have a busy household with that many animals, but as long as she has a cooperative muse, who cares? Wishing her much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! If writing in bed is weird, then I'm weird, too, since that's where I tend to work on all my projects, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent interview, and congrats Kimber Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three books released this year - that's impressive!

    ReplyDelete